Monday, January 26, 2009

Making decisions as to what to offer for sale .

Going through the patterns I created and choosing patterns by others that I could use. I don't understand the copyright laws, but most patterns say that the finished product is copyrighted and can't be sold for profit. Other patterns, a person can make 25 before the pattern designer has to be mentioned and others, you have to mention the designer on those first 25.

There is a woman who designs huge bears (3' to 5') and I've always wanted to make them. Luckily, she's one who allows you to make 25 a year from each pattern as long as you note that she's the designer. More, and licensing becomes the issue. Still she has six patterns that I want to try and if you times that by 25 you get a lot of bears.

I have a book of patterns from a place in England and I had written them years ago and I was told I could sell the bears because the copyright was for the patterns exclusively.

I also got permission from a company for its patterns, again as long as I note them.

There are some products I do that will be the anchor of my business, and as long as kids are graduating from high school, as long as women are having babies and as long as men love football and their women want to gift them with a cute bear w/a football helmet (I have to contact the company that makes the NFL and college helmets and see about wholesale/bulk purchases), well as long as those three things keep happening, I might make a buck or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment