Friday, January 30, 2009

Starting a business

There was a seminar scheduled at the Small Business Development Center, but it was cancelled though I got to set up an appointment for next week to have one-on-one business counseling. On top of that I think I got a new customer.

Got lots of information, have to start going over it and making decisions.

Still working to hunt down the seller of the mini football helmets. Have a customer for a Carolina Panthers, a helmet I do have at this moment. The guy works at a high-profile business so if I get him to keep it in view. . . I may just get me some more customers. Plenty of them.

Though people know of me and my bears 'cause of a project I used to do with the fire department here. I just need to jog their memories. When I went back to the Farmer's Market during the Christmas season, people remembered me. "You were here years ago," this other vendor told me.

I replied that I was.

"You've gotten better," he said.

And I have. I take more artistic risks with my bears, working different textures, choosing furs that aren't traditional to stuffed bears, etc.

"Your bears are interesting," a woman said as she selected the bear her husband was buying her for Christmas.

"They're like designer bears," this other man said.

The money is nice-- I've gotten good at pricing my work; in the beginning I wasn't even charging what it cost me in time/material to make them!-- but I so much enjoy the look on people's faces. That's the reward. Getting bears to people I said I would this week and next. Just this morning I dropped one off and the joy on this woman's face!

That's why I do this. That's why I intend to spend the rest of my life doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment