Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kid of the day

When I sell at craft fairs or the Farmer's Market, I always give a bear away.  I call someone my "kid of the day" and sometimes it's a literal kid and sometimes it's a big kid;-) The thing is that I don't want to get caught up that I'm just doing it for the money.  I like it when people respond to my bears and so I give one away to someone who seems like he/she really, really wants it.

People are always surprised and are unsure if they want to take it, but after about two or twenty "No, I'm sure.  Take the bear.  It really is free" they'll take it.  

With children, it's usually with a small bear, one that's not expensive.  One time a little girl was looking at this one bear so I told her mother (or the woman with her, we'll call her the mother) she could have it.  The mother picked up the bear and told her daughter I was giving it to her.  The little girl said, "I don't want that one.  I want this one."  She pointed to a bigger, costier bear.

"She's giving you this one, (insert child's name 'cause I don't remember it)."  The mother was doing her best to get the little girl to accept the bear I offered.

The little girl was adamant about which bear she wanted and it wasn't the one in her mother's hand.

"She can have that one," I said, lifting it up and handing it to the girl.

Her mother questioned me but I assured her that she could have the bigger bear.  She told her daughter to say 'thank you' and then they were off.

I'd never given away a bear with the price tag on that one.  I had to have an internal talk and make myself pick up that bear and give it away.  But it was good practice for me. 

I'm in this for money.  And I'm not.  I love to create and sew but sometimes it's only love when it's given away.

No comments:

Post a Comment